To say that I like baking with pumpkin is a bit of an understatement. From the time I make my batch of pumpkin puree in the fall, it’s on. I have a few more pumpkin recipes to share before I move on, but today, it’s all about this beautiful and delicious Vegan Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread.
As the weather continues to cool down, most of us tend to crave comfort foods. This is just one example of comfort food for me. Sweet comfort food. Grabbing a cup of tea, or decadent vegan hot chocolate, and a slice (or two) of this vegan gluten free pumpkin chocolate chip bread is perfection. Add in a blanket, the couch, and Netflix and I’m happy.
Every time I share a pumpkin recipe, I always go on about making your own pumpkin puree…and how easy it is…and how you’ll never go back to the canned stuff. Today is no exception. Because yes to everything I just said. Plus, it’s cheaper and you’ll have a stash in the freezer to make all of your pumpkin recipes (sweet and savoury) any time you want. Click this link to learn how to make homemade pumpkin puree.
To come up with this recipe, I went back to my vegan gluten free pumpkin spice muffins, and my coconut raisin banana bread recipes, combined and modified them a little and this is the result. Those two recipes are such favourites here (and with readers! Yay!), that I knew this recipe would turn out to be a good one. Plus, it also has chocolate chips, how could anything not be right when it has chocolate chips??
If chocolate chips aren’t your thing, you don’t have to add them to this pumpkin bread (but they’re highly recommended!) You can substitute with raisins or walnuts (or both!) It’s totally customizable.
And don’t feel like you are held to only making this during the fall. You aren’t. It definitely is the perfect fall treat, but if you feel like making it in March, go for it (I do!)
If you liked this recipe, here a few others you may like, too:
- Vegan Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Vegan Gluten Free Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Spice Mini Muffins
- Vegan Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Waffles
- Quick and Easy Vegan Pumpkin Pie
This page contains affiliate links. Click to learn more.
How to Make Vegan Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend (I use Bob's Red Mill, see note below)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 5" x 9" (1.5 quart) loaf pan.
- Prepare your flax eggs by whisking together ground flax seeds and water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and ground ginger together.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted coconut oil, pumpkin puree, vanilla, and flax mixture together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a tester comes out clean. See note.
- Baking times will vary slightly, depending on your oven and the type of bakeware you use. I use a glass loaf dish when making this recipe. Start checking around the 50 minute mark.
- It's important to know that different gluten-free flour blends use different ingredients and ratios, so results will can vary if you substitute. I have never used any other brand of flour to make this recipe (other than Bob's Red Mill), so please know that your results may not be the same as mine if ingredients are substituted.