I’ve finally accepted the fact that long, hot, sunny summer days are gone (for now!) and short, cool, (mostly) gloomy fall days are here (for now).
This time of year always takes me some time to adjust (I’m a summer girl, through and through), but one thing that makes it a little easier is the return of slow cooker recipes, cozy sweaters, and of course, pumpkin recipes. One of those pumpkin recipes that has been making the summer to fall transition easier are these sweet little bites—my pumpkin spice mini muffins (that also happen to be vegan AND gluten-free!)
I’m not the only one who has a hard time saying goodbye to summer, right?
These pumpkin spice mini muffins are an adaptation of my old fashioned doughnut mini muffins recipe—a popular treat in my home. Now that pumpkin season is here, I thought I’d give that recipe a little autumn makeover by swapping out some ingredients for some fall flavours. And what says fall flavours more than pumpkin and pumpkin spice? I can’t think of anything. So here we are.
- Skip the canned pumpkin and make your own homemade pumpkin puree (it’s really easy!).
These mini muffins are perfect for school snacks, at-home snacks (with a homemade pumpkin spice latte!), a nice food gift to say thank you to someone, or even your contribution to a get-together with friends…they’re good for any occasion, really! And the best part? No one will will be able to tell they are vegan or that they’re gluten-free. Try it, you’ll see!
When you make your pumpkin spice mini muffins, be sure to store them in an airtight container and eat them up within 2-3 days. They’re best enjoyed when fresh.
And if “mini” muffins aren’t your thing, check out my chocolate chip pumpkin muffins. A little different than these, but just as delicious and a bit larger!
Pumpkin Spice Mini Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all purpose four blend (I use Bob’s Red Mill, see note below)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup + 2tbsp non-dairy milk (I use almond)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- **For cinnamon sugar coating**
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup fine granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease mini muffin tin (x 24)
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and pumpkin spice.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted coconut oil, non-dairy milk, pumpkin puree, and vanilla together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Fill muffin tin 3/4 full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
- While muffins are baking, place melted coconut oil in 1 bowl and combine the sugar and cinnamon in another bowl
- Remove muffins from oven and cool for 10 minutes in tin.
- Remove muffins from tin and place on a cooling rack.
- While still warm, dip 1 muffin at a time into the oil first. Make sure the entire top is coated with the oil, shake off any excess. Then dip the same muffin into the sugar/cinnamon mixture, ensuring that the entire top is covered with the cinnamon sugar mix. Place muffin back on cooling rack.
- Repeat with entire batch until done.