Tasty mini gluten free vegan apple muffins filled with diced apples and warm fall spices. These tiny two-bite treats are great for your kids’ school snacks or for snacking on at home!
This page contains affiliate links. Click to learn more.
This time of year is always bittersweet for me, because it’s the end of summer, my absolute favourite time of year.
Gone are long hot days, eating BBQ out in the backyard, berry recipes, less rigid schedules, and lots of sun.
But at the same time, it’s sweet because fall brings with it recipes that contain warm, flavourful spices, filling comfort meals, cozy sweaters, hot chocolate, and covering up with warm fuzzy blankets while watching TV on the couch.
Can you relate to any of this?
And of course, fall is famous for apple recipes, like these easy gluten free apple muffins! These little muffins are filled with those familiar warm fall spices and loads of tiny apple pieces. Plus, this recipe, like all of my others, is egg free, dairy-free, and gluten free!
How to Prepare the Apples for GF Apple Muffins
You’ll first peel the apple and once peeled, dice it up very small like in the picture below.
You don’t want the apple pieces to be too big because these muffins don’t bake for very long, so you want them to be small enough to cook through.
How to Make Vegan Apple Cinnamon Muffins
(Note: I’ve outlined the step-by-step on how to make this gluten free apple muffins recipe here, but find the full recipe, ingredients, and directions at the end of this post.)
You’ll start out by whisking the dry ingredients together in one bowl, then mixing the wet ingredients together in another bowl.
Next, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix until combined, and then fold in the chopped apples.
The next step is to scoop the batter for your vegan gluten free apple muffins into a mini muffin pan and then bake them.
Can These Muffins Be Made In a Regular Muffin Pan?
If you don’t have a mini muffin pan or you just want larger muffins, you can definitely use a regular pan. You will need to bake them for longer, though.
Bump the baking time up to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the largest muffin comes out clean.
The Cinnamon Sugar Topping
Once the muffins come out of the oven, it’s almost time for the fun part: coating the tops with cinnamon sugar!
Your muffins should be fully cooled before moving on to this next step. Once they have cooled, you’ll need to dip or brush each muffin top lightly, one by one, with melted coconut oil.
Then, you want to dip each muffin top into the cinnamon sugar mix you’ll have ready and waiting.
After that step, your eggless apple cinnamon muffins will be done and ready for devouring!
Tips for the Perfect Vegan Apple Spice Muffins
I have a pumpkin spice mini muffin recipe that I’ve made countless times and they’re always perfect, but a couple readers wrote to me saying they had problems with the batter being too thick.
I helped them troubleshoot and in one case, the incorrect amount of liquid was used, and in another, coconut flour was used, which is a big no-no.
I wrote up some tips for that post and I’ll repeat them here (since the recipes are similar) to ensure you have recipe success with your own mini vegan apple muffins:
- Please do not substitute the gluten-free flour blend I recommend with coconut flour. Coconut flour is not an easy flour to work with and this recipe will not work if you use it. To make this particular apple muffins recipe gluten free, a gluten-free flour blend must be used. Coconut flour will NOT work with this recipe without making major modifications.
- The only gf flour blend I’ve tested this recipe with is Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour. <– Click that link to see what it looks like. It’s the one with the red label, not the blue label. You can buy it through that Amazon link or look for it at your grocery store. If this specific flour is not used, your results may not be the same as mine.
- Note that the sugar and applesauce call for 1/4 cup PLUS 1 tablespoon. Please don’t miss that extra 1 tablespoon of each ingredient.
- Be sure that all ingredients are measured correctly.
- Before starting, read through my vegan gluten free baking tips.
If you follow all of those tips and make the recipe as it is written, you’ll have 24 of the most delicious gluten free apple muffins you’ve ever tried!
If you make this recipe for gluten-free vegan apple muffins, check out these other recipes you may also like:
- Old Fashioned Cake Doughnut Mini Muffins
- Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- How to Make Slow Cooker Applesauce
- Vegan Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Waffles
- Apple Spice Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Vegan Apple Baked Oatmeal
And if you make them let me know about it in the comments below!
How to Make Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Muffins