Anyone who has prepared a big holiday meal knows that to stay on track, A LOT has to be going on at the same time and all of them need your attention. 2 things boiling, 1 thing in the oven, 4 things waiting to be chopped…a hungry child…or two. You know how it goes…preparing a holiday meal is no joke! So any time I can take a shortcut, I take it. This Quick and Easy Vegan Pumpkin Pie has a couple small shortcuts that will have you moving on to other things in the kitchen that are begging for attention.
Pumpkin pie is a staple at Thanksgiving for us. My kids love it, so it’s always requested. I even make one at Christmas. Is pumpkin pie at Christmas a thing? Or is that just us? Either way, it’s always a part of our dessert menu during the holidays. I usually go all out and I make the crust myself, but sometimes, a shortcut is needed. (If time is not an issue, you may want to check out my vegan chocolate pumpkin pie recipe).
So what makes this quick and easy vegan pumpkin pie quick and easy? And why will it save you time?
Well, the most time-consuming part of making any pie is usually the crust. This pie crust is pre-made and store-bought. I also forego all of the separate spices and opt for pre-mixed pumpkin spice mix. And those two things are what makes this pumpkin pie a time saver. You may be wondering why I don’t use pumpkin pie mix in this recipe, because THAT would be the ultimate time-saving way to make pumpkin pie. If you use pumpkin pie mix, you have no control over the sweetness and the spices (and some of the strange extra ingredients). So I prefer to use pure pumpkin puree (click here to learn how to make homemade pumpkin puree) and build the flavour myself. In total, it takes 5 minutes to prepare the filling, that’s it!
Pre-made vegan pie crust may not be so easy to find, depending on where you live. Check your grocery store, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, or your local health food stores. If you still can’t find a vegan pie crust, you can pre-make your own. This is a good vegan pie crust recipe to try and the crust I use in my vegan chocolate pumpkin pie recipe is gluten free and can be used here if you’d like (but using that crust will add time to this recipe, so it may not end up being so quick, after all!).
If you do opt to make your own crust, make the crust before the big day and have it ready and waiting for when it’s quick and easy vegan pumpkin pie making time!
Adding a topping to your pumpkin pie when you serve it is totally optional but highly recommended! I personally love to have a big drop of coconut whip on top (learn how to make coconut whip here) but it’s up to you. If you do go with coconut whip, you can also prepare it the day before so it’s ready and waiting for serving time.
And…to make things even easier for you on the big day in the kitchen, make your pie the day before so you don’t have to worry about it the day of.
If you like this recipe, you may also like these:
- Vegan Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
- How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Puree
- Vegan Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes
- Pumpkin Pasties (A Harry Potter Recipe!)
- Vegan Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Waffles
This page contains affiliate links. Click to learn more.
How to Make a Quick and Easy Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine pumpkin puree, unsweetened non-dairy milk, coconut sugar, arrowroot starch, pumpkin spice, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk all ingredients together until well combined.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into the unbaked pie crust and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Set aside to cool until it's time to serve.
- The pie may still be a little wobbly in the middle when you take it out of the oven, not to worry, it will firm up as it cools.
- Homemade pumpkin puree tends to a be a little more runny than canned. If you are using homemade puree, bump the arrowroot starch up to 2 1/2 tablespoons.
- If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, use the following spices in its place: 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, and 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg.
- Calorie count is for 1 slice (of 8) and does not include any garnishes.