Coming towards the end of most weeks, despite the best of intentions, we always end up with a few overripe bananas.
Most people end up throwing them in the compost bin, green bin, or trash but what they don’t realize is that they can easily save them and turn them into delicious, fresh-baked treats like banana bread and healthy drinks like smoothies.
Instead of throwing them out, save them!
Once the bananas have reached the point where no one will eat them, throw them into the freezer! Then, when you’ve found a must-make recipe that calls for bananas, they will be waiting for you to use.
Note: Frozen banana peels turn a very dark brown, almost black, colour after being frozen. This is totally fine, they are still good to use!
Here’s how to use them:
- Take a frozen banana out of the freezer, thaw slightly, peel, and throw it into the blender as you would with a fresh banana.
For baked treats:
- Remove the amount of bananas needed and place on a plate to thaw for a couple hours.
- When fully thawed, slice off the tops and squeeze the banana(s) into a bowl. Purée until smooth (I use an immersion blender). This is to ensure no banana lumps end up in your finished product. Measure and add to your recipe.
If you keep doing this, over time you will end up with a little stash of overripe bananas in your freezer, so this a great excuse to make delicious recipes that call for bananas!
Some recipes to try with those frozen overripe bananas sitting in your freezer:
- Beet, Berry, Ginger Smoothie
- Coconut Raisin Banana Bread
- Banana Oat Pancakes
- Banana Steel Cut Oats
- Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread
- Vegan Banana Waffles
- Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Banana Cake
- Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Vegan Gluten Free Banana Muffins