Remember when I told you how cold it has been here when I shared my recipe for slow cooker curried cauliflower sweet potato carrot soup? Well, not much has changed since I wrote that post. We did get a little breather for a few days when the weather was unseasonably warm(er) but until we hit May, I’m all about easy, slow cooker comfort meals. Like this Slow Cooker Lentil Sweet Potato Chili.
Chili has actually been on the “banned list” in my home for a while. Why? Because at one point, I made it so many times in the span of a couple months, everyone became sick of it (is it just me or is that fact kinda of funny?!). Except I never got sick of it because I love chili. Especially chili made in the slow cooker.
Before this time, I think it had been about a year since I made a batch of chili. I gave everyone a heads up that I had planned to make it but instead of making the same old boring bean chili, I was going to change things up. This time, I decided to throw in lentils, cut back on the beans and add sweet potato. It was a huge win and I’m happy to say that chili is back on the rotation. I’ve have been “permitted” to make it again, as long as it’s this Lentil Sweet Potato Chili! (This time, I’ll be sure not to make it too many times!)
Top it with cubed avocado to make it extra special or if you don’t have avocado, minced parsley or cilantro works well as a garnish too.
This recipe makes a HUGE batch, but the good news is that it freezes well and works great for lunches or a leftover supper for a night you don’t feel like cooking.
P.S. Check out my other easy, delicious slow cooker recipes (did you know you could make applesauce in your slow cooker?!) and and follow my soup and stews board on Pinterest for more vegan and vegetarian soups and stews.
How to Make Slow Cooker Lentil Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 x 796ml/28oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 x 398ml/14oz can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups dried green lentils (be sure to pick through them for any non-lentil things!)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- diced avocado for garnish (optional)
- fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4.5 hours
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. More chili powder can be added if you'd like. Give it a taste test and if you find it can use some more, go ahead and add, 1 tsp at a time.