This past week, Ottawa has been in a deep freeze. And I don’t mean a little cold. I mean COLD. Like your skin can freeze if it’s not covered cold…wind chill factors ranging between -30 and -40 cold.
So it’s no joke. Cold weather like this and I are not friends. Never have been, never will be. BUT, I live in Ottawa, so what can I do? Not much. It’s a fact that I’m going to experience weather like this each winter, so this is how I choose to deal with winter and cold weather:
- Layers and layers of clothing when I go out.
- Quick trips. No spending unnecessary time outside.
- Daydream about summer and booking a vacation for a hot destination next winter.
- Blankets, books, snacks, and Netflix.
- And soup. Delicious, hot soup.
So I basically turn into a live-under-my-blankets-soup-eating hermit when the weather is like this. And I’m totally OK with that.
When I make soup, if it’s a soup that can be made in the slow cooker, it gets huge bonus points. Like this curried cauliflower sweet potato carrot soup.
I drew inspiration for this recipe from my butternut squash sweet potato carrot soup. Both recipes have a few common ingredients, they’re both made in the slow cooker, they look pretty much the same but that is where the similarities end. They both have totally different flavours but are both equally delicious.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can adjust the spices, mainly the curry, to suit your tastes.
So whether or not it’s ridiculously cold where you live or you’re just craving soup, OR if you’re simply looking for an easy, fix-it-and-forget-it slow cooker meal, this curried cauliflower sweet potato carrot soup is just what you need.
And if you love using your slow cooker as much as I do, be sure to check out these other slow cooker recipes:
This page contains affiliate links. Click to learn more.
How to Make Curried Cauliflower Sweet Potato Carrot Soup
- 1 head of cauliflower , chopped
- 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes , peeled and cubed
- 3 medium-sized carrots , peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1-2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- coconut milk for garnish (optional)
Add the cauliflower, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, and broth to the slow cooker. Set to low and let cook for 6 hours. (If you are in a rush, set to high and cook for 3 1/2 - 4 hours or until vegetables are soft)
- Once cooked, puree with an immersion blender until the soup is smooth.
- Add in the coconut milk, 1 tsp of curry, and the cumin. Blend again making sure that all spices are incorporated. If you'd like, add more curry to taste.
- Season with salt, to taste.
- If using coconut milk for garnish, drop a tablespoon of coconut milk in the center of each bowl of soup.