If you’re looking for an easy, delicious, and nutritious vegan comfort meal, look no further! This easy and hearty vegetarian Slow Cooker Lentil Sweet Potato Chili checks all of those boxes and it’s the perfect way to warm up on a cold day.
Remember when I told you how cold it has been here when I shared my recipe for slow cooker curried cauliflower sweet potato carrot soup? Well, not much has changed since I wrote that post.
We did get a little breather for a few days when the weather was unseasonably warm(er), but until we hit May, I’m all about easy, slow cooker comfort meals. Like this Slow Cooker Lentil Sweet Potato Chili.
Chili has actually been on the “banned list” in my home for a while. Why? Because at one point, I made it so many times in the span of a couple months, everyone became sick of it (is it just me or is that kinda of funny?!).
Except I never got sick of it because I love chili. Especially chili made in the slow cooker.
Before this time, I think it had been about a year since I made a batch of chili. I gave everyone a heads up that I had planned to make it but instead of making the same old boring bean chili, I was going to change things up.
This time, I decided to throw in lentils, cut back on the beans and add sweet potato. It was a huge win and I’m happy to say that chili is back on the rotation. I’ve have been “permitted” to make it again, as long as it’s this Lentil Sweet Potato Chili!
(This time, I’ll be sure not to make it too many times!)
What are the best chili garnishes?
You can have your chili plain or add a garnish. My favourite way to have it is with diced avocado, like in the pictures, but you can top it with what you like. Some ideas:
- minced parsley
- minced cilantro
- crushed tortilla chips
- sliced green onions
- finely diced red onions
And you can serve your chili with a batch of cornbread, the best side for chili!
Can I freeze this chili?
Yes. This recipe makes a HUGE batch, but the good news is that it freezes well and works great for lunches or a leftover supper for a night you don’t feel like cooking.
If you like this lentil sweet potato chili recipe, you may also like these:
- Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Carrot Soup
- Slow Cooker Applesauce
- Smoky Lentil Sloppy Joes
- Curried Cauliflower Sweet Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- Vegan Bolognese Pasta
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Lentil Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 x 796ml/28oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 x 398ml/14oz can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups dried green lentils
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- diced avocado for garnish (optional)
- fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish (optional)
Slow Cooker Directions
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4.5 hours
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. More chili powder can be added if you'd like. Give it a taste test and if you find it can use some more, go ahead and add, 1 teaspoon at a time.
Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker Directions (Using a 6 Quart Pot)
- Use just 3 cups of broth instead of 3 ½
- Add all ingredients to pressure cooker. Mix well.
- Place and lock lid onto the pot and close the pressure release valve. Set to pressure cook for 10 minutes. Pot will take roughly 30 minutes to come to pressure.
- When the pressure cooking time has ended, press cancel and allow the pot to natural release for 15 minutes. Once the 15 minutes has passed, carefully open the pressure release valve to quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Once pressure has been released and the float valve pin has dropped, slowly unlock and remove the lid.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. More chili powder can be added if you'd like. Give it a taste test and if you find it can use some more, go ahead and add, 1 tsp at a time.
- This recipe makes a HUGE batch (approximately 12 cups). Luckily, this chili freezes very well. Freeze the leftovers or use them for lunches or another supper later in the week.
- Be sure to pick through your lentils and remove for any non-lentil things.
- I use a low sodium vegetable broth and no salt added diced tomatoes.
- Nutrition info is based on 1 of 6 servings (2 cups per serving). Nutrition info does not include any garnishes and uses 1.5 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Info is only to be used as a rough guide. Click to learn how nutrition info is calculated on this website.
This Slow Cooker Lentil Sweet Potato Chili recipe was originally published January 26, 2015, images were updated October 2018.
Original Images before post update: