Easy Vegan Gluten-Free Pancakes that whip up quickly and are super fluffy. They’re the perfect breakfast to serve for a lazy weekend breakfast or brunch.
This page may contain affiliate links. Click to learn more.
Back when I started experimenting with turning my favourite recipes into plant-based and/or gluten free versions, this recipe for easy vegan gluten free pancakes was one of the first I came up with.
Come to think of it, it may have actually been the first!
This was quite a few years ago and since then, the recipe has not changed at all. I make these pancakes often and they have become one of the most requested things to eat here at breakfast (and sometimes a weekend lunch or weeknight supper…breakfast for dinner is the best, isn’t it?)
I took these shots almost 4-months ago but held on to them. If you follow me on Instagram, you would have seen a sneak peek. (BTW, are you following me on Instagram yet? If you don’t, come follow and say hi!)
I held on to the shots because I thought, “hmm…this is *just* a pancake recipe. Does the internet really need another pancake recipe?” And the answer is YES. It does. Because these easy vegan gluten free pancakes are special.
They’re special because they are everything you would expect a pancake to be, but maybe NOT what you would expect a vegan AND gluten free pancake to be. They are light, fluffy, and they’re delicious.
When I serve them, pure maple syrup is a must but if I have some fresh berries on hand, they pair really well together. Sliced bananas are nice too. If you want to make your pancakes extra special, try topping them with some coconut whip. Mmm…
Fun fact: I actually used this pancake recipe as the starting point for my easy vegan gluten free waffles. I tinkered with this recipe a little bit and after a few tries, those waffles came to be! (And by the way, they are also perfection.)
Then, that waffle recipe served as the base for all my other waffle recipes. Funny how developing recipes work! (how many times did I just say recipe? 😉 )
When you find something that works, stick with it. Use it as a base and make small adjustments to suit whatever new thing you’re trying to come up with.
Now, on to my next creation…
What kind of flour should be used for this recipe?
I have only tested this recipe with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour. (the one with the red label you see in that link, NOT the one with the blue label!). You can find it in your grocery store (likely in the natural foods section), your health food store, or you can buy from Amazon.
This flour is a blend of different flours and all gluten-free flour blends cannot always be interchanged easily because they all contain different ingredients and ratios. I have had readers who have used different flours with success, read through the comments below, but I can only speak about the flour I use for this recipe with confidence since I have been using it to make these pancakes for many years and have not had any fails.
And…I know for sure that coconut flour will not work with this recipe.
If you like this easy vegan gluten free pancakes recipe, here are a few others you may like too:
- Vegan Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pancakes
- Vegan Gingerbread Pancakes
- Fluffy Vegan Banana Pancakes (GF)
- Banana Oat Pancakes (Vegan + GF)
- Vegan Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Waffles
- Easy Vegan Gluten Free Waffles
If you make them, post a pic on Instagram and tag me! I’d love to see your remake. I’m @delightfuladventures over there and my hashtag is #delightfuladventures.
And be sure to check out my other delicious vegan breakfast recipe ideas!
How to Make Easy Vegan Gluten Free Pancakes
Easy Vegan Gluten Free Pancakes
- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (optional, use only if you prefer a slightly sweeter pancake)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend (I use Bob's Red Mill, see note below)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whisk milk, oil, vanilla, ground flax seeds, and maple syrup (if using) together in a medium-sized bowl, whisking enough to incorporate the flax seeds. Let sit for 5-minutes.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat for at least 2 minutes.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together in a large bowl.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing well until incorporated.
- Lightly coat surface of pan with a very small amount of oil. Ladle about 1/3 cup (or less for smaller pancakes) of the pancake mixture into the center your pan, cooking 1 at a time.
- Flip when ready.
- Continue cooking until the batter is done, placing pancakes on a covered oven-safe plate in the oven as they finish to keep them warm.
- This recipe makes 8-10 pancakes, depending on how large or small you make them. Calorie count is for 1 of 8 pancakes without toppings and without the optional maple syrup added to the batter.
- When I make my pancakes, I use a thick, cast-iron pan. I usually turn mine after about a minute and a half, when the edges start to look dry. Some experimentation may be necessary until you get a feel for it. Everyone's griddle/pan will cook differently.
- This recipe will NOT work with coconut flour.
- It's important to know that different gluten-free flour blends use different ingredients and ratios, so results will always vary if you substitute. I have never used any other brand of flour to make this recipe (other than Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour (Amazon link) with the red label, NOT the blue label), so please know that your results may not be the same as mine if substitute with another gluten-free flour blend.
- Nutrition info is based on 1 of 8 pancakes, without garnishes or maple syrup, and is only to be used as a rough guide. Click to learn how nutrition info is calculated on this website.