I'm not a regular coffee drinker but I do enjoy a cup every now and then. For me, it's more for the taste because I am not hooked to coffee in any way, and luckily, I don't need it in order to function each day. However, when the holiday season rolls around, I do love to enjoy some specialty coffee drinks like this homemade vegan gingerbread latte.
When ordering at a coffee shop, to get the drink exactly how I like it, my order is usually a long, run-on, drawn out sentence: small gingerbread latte, almond milk, half sweet, no whip....yes, I'm one of those people. I know my order isn't too bad, I have overheard much longer, much more complicated requests while waiting in line. But still.
Did you know it's super easy to make your own specialty coffee drinks at home? No need to leave your home, no need to place that long drawn out order, you can make your own homemade vegan gingerbread latter just the way you want it, AND you know exactly what is going into it.
Of all the specialty drinks, my fave is the gingerbread latte. YUM.
So I set out to make my own version. My own homemade vegan gingerbread latte.
This drink sings "holidays" to me. It's perfectly spiced (feel free to adjust the spices to suit your tastes!) and it's delicious. Enjoy it with a chewy, vegan, gluten-free, gingerbread cookies, a slice of gingerbread loaf, gingerbread people, a gingerbread chocolate chip muffin, or any other holiday baking you have waiting to be devoured in your kitchen!
Homemade Vegan Gingerbread Latte
- ¼ cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I use almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon fancy molasses
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup hot non-dairy milk for foaming OR coconut whip (optional)
- sweetener to taste
- cinnamon for garnish (optional)
- Brew coffee, add to mug and set aside.
- In a small pot, add milk, molasses, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Heat until steaming but not boiling.
- Using a strainer, strain milk mixture into mug with coffee.
- Add vanilla.
- Add sweetener to taste, stir.
- If using extra milk for foam, foam milk and pour into cup OR if using coconut whip, add to the top of the drink.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon on top for garnish, if using.
- Feel free to adjust the spices and molasses measurements to suite your taste.
- Step 3 involves straining the milk mixture, this is to avoid any "spice grit" in your drink.