This Southwest Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos recipe is sponsored by Simply Organic (@SimplyOrganicFoods) for their #OrganicMoments campaign. As always, all opinions in this post are my own. This page contains affiliate links, click here to learn more.
Around here, weekday breakfasts are usually simple and quick, but when the weekend rolls around, I like to make things that take a little more time, like waffles and pancakes. The beauty of these breakfast tacos is that they can be made either for a rushed morning breakfast or for a lazy weekend breakfast.
To make them for weekday mornings, simply make the scramble the day before, cool, and refrigerate. In the morning, warm up your tortillas and the scramble, assemble, and you have yourself a hot, delicious breakfast!
To make this recipe, you'll just need a few ingredients, including Simply Organic's new Southwest Seasoning. This smoky spice blend has a bit of kick from chipotle pepper and cayenne, and it also contains paprika, cumin, and lemon peel.
So rather than having to combine several spices to achieve that Southwest flavour everyone loves, you have it all in one bottle. Super easy and convenient for any dish you want to infuse Southwest flavour into. So of course, I had to use it for my Southwest Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos!
The seasoning gives the scramble a delicious boost of flavour that you'll enjoy if you like spicy, savoury foods. Some other dishes this Southwest Seasoning would be great in:
Now, these are called breakfast tacos, but they can be enjoyed any time of the day. The first time I made them, I had them for lunch.
You also do not have to stick to them being tacos. You can serve the scramble with toast and fruit on the side, or you can add ½ cup of black beans to the scramble to bulk it up and make wraps with a side salad for supper.
It's really an any-time-of-day meal!
Another way you can customize this recipe is to experiment with different toppings. Each time I've made them, I've topped them differently and my favourite way is always with just sliced avocados, and that's it.
Some other ideas for Southwest breakfast scramble taco garnishes:
- sliced avocado
- diced tomatoes
- vegan cheese shreds
- green onions
Whatever you decide to top them with, they'll be delicious!
So get yourself a bottle of Simply Organic's Southwest Seasoning and make yourself delicious Southwest breakfast scramble tacos for either a rushed weekday morning breakfast or a lazy weekend family breakfast...or even for lunch or dinner!
And if you do make them, tag me on Instagram (@delightfuladventures), I'd love to see how you top yours!
If you like this vegan gluten-free breakfast recipe idea, I think you may also like these recipes:
- Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burritos
- Just Egg Quiche
- Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- Banana Berry Granola Yogurt Parfait
- Nut-Free Maple Coconut Granola Clusters
- Vegan Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Waffles
- Vegan Gluten-Free Breakfast Ideas
How to Make Southwest Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos
Southwest Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, pressed, to remove all liquid and crumbled
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 3 teaspoons Simply Organic Southwest Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- 8 small tortillas (use gluten-free tortillas, if needed)
- garnishes (see suggestions above)
- Heat a large-sized pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add two teaspoon of the oil to the pan and let heat for a few seconds.
- Add onions to the pan. Cook for 1 minute. Add red pepper and mushrooms to the pan and cook for another few minutes until everything is tender but not too soft.
- Spoon out vegetables into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the same pan, add crumbled tofu and turmeric and stir until tofu is evenly coated with the turmeric.
- Add southwest seasoning and salt, mix until combined. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the tofu starts to brown slightly.
- Add vegetables back to the pan and stir until everything is combined. Remove the pan from the stove.
- Warm tortillas and assemble breakfast tacos, topping with garnishes of your choice. See note below for ideas.
- Nutrition info is based on 1 taco with the recipe made as written and with no toppings. Nutrition info is only to be used as a rough guide. Click to learn how nutrition info is calculated on this website.