An easy recipe for tofu breakfast burritos that include roasted potatoes, a delicious tofu scramble, and fresh toppings. These burritos can be served right away or made in advance and put in the freezer for later! In my opinion, this is one of the best vegan breakfast recipes to make!
The Answer to Cereal Boredom: Tofu Breakfast Burritos!
For a while now, my kids want absolutely nothing to do with cereal for breakfast. I wrote a little about this over on CBC Parents, but basically, cereal is off the menu and it's all about ANYTHING BUT cereal.
There are plenty of other healthy vegan breakfast options out there, but I wanted new things that were nutritious, easy to make, and things they'd actually eat.
While brainstorming ideas for new breakfast options, these tofu breakfast burritos made the shortlist. They've since become a fast favourite and are enjoyed with no complaints. Sigh of relief.
I make a batch on the weekend, freeze them, and then they re-heat their tofu burritos on school mornings, by themselves.
And no one has to eat cereal. Win, win.
These vegetarian breakfast burritos are loaded with nutritious ingredients and the toppings can be anything you and / or your kids like.
Do These Vegan Breakfast Burritos with Tofu Taste Like Tofu?
If you or your kids don't like tofu (or think you don't like tofu!), rest assured, these don't have that tofu taste that many dislike. The tofu scramble is seasoned nicely and have optional black salt (see below for more info on black salt!) to give it an "eggy" flavour, so no. No strong tofu flavour here!
(If you're looking for more tofu breakfast recipes, be sure to check out my southwest tofu breakfast tacos!)
The Filling for Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burritos
The roasted potatoes and the tofu scramble are the base fillings for your tofu breakfast burritos, but for the rest, you can customize based on what you like.
Toppings for Vegan Breakfast Burritos
For the burritos in the photos, I've topped them with salsa, chopped parsley, and diced avocado. Every time I make them, I top them differently and you can do the same so you have a different burrito every time. Experiment a bit by using different toppings to see what your favourite combos are.
Here are some more topping suggestions:
- diced tomatoes
- vegan cheese shreds
- vegan sour cream
- green onions
- diced red onions
- hot sauce or sriracha
As mentioned, these tofu burritos are 100% freezer-friendly. Make them on the weekend so you can enjoy a quick, filling and easy vegan breakfast on busy weekday mornings.
Are There Special Steps to Follow in Order to Freeze These Tofu Breakfast Burritos?
Yes. If you're going to make a big batch and freeze for later (they're perfect for vegan meal prep!), I've included instructions in the recipe on how to do that.
If I Freeze Them, How do I Re-Heat Them?
I've include directions in the recipe notes about that, as well 🙂
What is Kala Namak / Black Salt and Why Does This Recipe Call For It?
Kala namak is optional, so you if you don't want to use it, regular salt can be used instead.
Kala namak is also known as "Himalayan black salt" (even though it's not black!) and contains sulpher compounds which will give your tofu scramble an "eggy" flavour. A little goes a long way when you add it to your recipes!
If you've never had a tofu scramble before, the texture and look is very much like eggs (see images above and below!) and the kala namak will make the taste very similar to eggs.
If eggs are something you enjoyed before, you will likely enjoy adding black salt to your vegetarian breakfast burritos.
If you make these, please share a pic with me on Instagram or let me know about it by leaving a rating and a comment below!
If you like these tofu breakfast burritos, you may also like these:
- Vegan Gluten-Free Breakfast Ideas
- Just Egg Quiche
- Fluffy Banana Pancakes
- Southwest Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos
- Banana Steel Cut Oats
- Vegan Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins
How to Make Tofu Breakfast Burritos
Freezer-Friendly Tofu Breakfast Burritos
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons oil divided
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- ½ medium sweet red pepper diced
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups chopped baby spinach
- 1 block extra-firm tofu pressed and crumbled
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black salt (kala namak) (or regular salt, to taste, see info about kala namak above)
- ½ cup black beans
- 6 large tortillas (use gluten-free tortillas, if needed)
- garnishes (see suggestions above)
For Roasted Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (if needed).
- Washed and chop potatoes into bite-size pieces
- Place potatoes on the baking sheet and top with 1 teaspoon of oil and sprinkle with the salt. With a spoon or your hands, mix potatoes around so all pieces are coated with the oil and salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until brown and slightly crispy (see image above).
For Tofu Scramble:
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add two teaspoons of the oil to the pan and let heat for a few seconds.
- Add onions to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add red pepper and mushrooms and cook for another few minutes until everything is tender but not too soft.
- Add spinach and cook until spinach has wilted.
- Spoon vegetables into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the same pan, add crumbled tofu and turmeric and stir until tofu is evenly coated with the turmeric.
- Add add optional chili powder and salt, mix until combined. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the tofu starts to brown slightly.
- Add vegetables back to the pan and stir until everything has combined. Add black beans and mix again.
To Assemble Tofu Breakast Burritos and serve right away:
- Warm tortillas and assemble by dividing tofu scramble and potatoes among the six tortillas and top with garnishes of your choice. See info above for ideas.
To Assemble Tofu Breakast Burritos to freeze for later:
- Wait until potatoes and tofu scramble have fully cooled before assembling.
- When cooled, divide tofu scramble and potatoes among the six tortillas. Do not add any toppings.
- Fold each burrito and then wrap individually in parchment squares. Place wrapped burritos in an airtight container or freezer bags.
To Re-Heat Frozen Burritos:
- Remove burrito from freezer (do not remove parchment paper) and place on a plate in the microwave. Heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove parchment paper, place back on plate and heat for another 1 ½ minutes.
- Remove from microwave and garnish with toppings of choice (see info above for ideas).
- Please read all of the helpful info and FAQ above before making this recipe to ensure success.
- The tofu scramble is great as-is, but chili powder may be used to give it even more flavour. Other spices may also be used, based on your preferences.
- Nutrition info is based on 1 burrito without toppings. Nutrition info is only to be used as a rough guide. Click to learn how nutrition info is calculated on this website