These sweet little Old Fashioned Cake Doughnut Mini Muffins will become a lunch box and snack time favourite. These treats come together in less than 30 minutes!
I’m smitten. So very smitten with these old fashioned cake doughnut mini muffins.
How smitten? Well, I don’t think I’ve ever used the word smitten before. And I’ve used it 4 times in the last 5 seconds. So…
Let’s back up a bit though so I can tell you how these delicious, sweet bites came to be.
Instant heart eyes.
That recipe gives options to make it vegan but none to make it gluten-free so I thought, hmm…I’m up for this challenge!
And I tore that challenge up, if I must say.
I added my own unique spin by making my doughnut muffins gluten-free, changing the ingredient ratios to make it work as a gluten-free recipe, and adding nutmeg.
What kind of nutmeg is the best?
I don’t buy the pre-ground stuff because by the time you get it in your kitchen, it has lost a lot of the beautiful, warm nutmeg flavour.
This is why I always use freshly grated nutmeg in all my recipes, freshly grated give the BEST nutmeg flavour. Here’s a little more info on using nutmeg in your recipes.
Doughnut muffins were a favourite of mine back in the day, but I think these are so much better than the real thing (which is rare…when is a knock off ever better than the real thing?).
They also come together very easily and quickly. You can go from craving to satisfaction in less than 30-minutes.
At the end of the 30-minutes, you’ll have 24 beautiful, sweet, sugary-spiced bites.
They don’t last long here when I make them. I’m pretty sure the same will happen when you make them.
If you like this doughnut muffins recipe, pin it on Pinterest and then check out these other treats you may also like!
- Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Mini Muffins
- Baked Chocolate Doughnuts
- Baked Lemon Doughnuts
- Chocolate Mint Doughnuts
And if you make them, share a pic with me on Instagram! I’m @delightfuladventures over there and my hashtag is #delightfuladventures. Looking forward to seeing your remake!
This page contains affiliate links. Click to learn more.
How to Make Old Fashioned Cake Doughnut Mini Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend (I use Bob’s Red Mill brand, see note below)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (see note below)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg (see nutmeg tip above)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup fine granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease mini muffin tin (x 24)
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted coconut oil, non-dairy milk, applesauce, and vanilla together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Fill muffin tin 3/4 full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
- While muffins are baking, place melted coconut oil in 1 bowl and combine the sugar and cinnamon in another bowl
- Remove muffins from oven and cool for 10 minutes in tin.
- Remove muffins from tin and place on a cooling rack.
While still warm, dip 1 muffin at a time into the oil first. Make sure the entire top is coated with the oil. Then dip the same muffin into the sugar/cinnamon mixture, ensuring that the entire top is covered with the cinnamon sugar mix. Place muffin back onto cooling rack.
- Repeat with entire batch until done.
- It's important to know that different gluten-free flour blends use different ingredients and ratios, so results will always vary if you substitute. I have never used any other brand of flour to make this recipe (other than Bob's Red Mill), so please know that your results may not be the same as mine if ingredients are substituted.
- This recipe will NOT work with coconut flour.
- A few readers have asked what the batter for these muffins should be like after using a different type of flour. Have a look at the batter in this similar recipe to get an idea. If you use the flour recommended in this recipe and follow the recipe exactly as it is written, your recipe will work perfectly.
- The granulated sugar I link to in the recipe is vegan.
- Nutrition info listed below is for 1 of 24 doughnut muffins and is only to be used as a rough guide. Click here for more info on how nutrition info on this website is determined.