Vegan Rice Bowls
Easy vegan rice bowls loaded with roasted veggies, chickpeas, and other good-for-you ingredients. This easy plant-based recipe is family-friendly and can be easily customized based on the veggies you have on hand, PLUS, it’s also great for vegan meal-prep and can be served for either dinner or lunch.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 can (15 ounces, 425 g, or 1 1/2 cups) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into bite-size florets
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced (or colour of your choice)
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups (390 g) cooked brown rice
- 1 1 avocado, peeled and pit removed, diced
- 1/4 cup (4g) cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup (235 ml) BBQ sauce
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C, or gas mark 5). Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
Spread out the chickpeas, broccoli, bell peppers, and onion on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Spread them out in one even layer. Roast for 20 minutes, mix the veggies, and swap the pans in the oven so the one on top is now on the bottom. Roast for another 10 to 15 minutes until the veggies are starting to char and the chickpeas are crispy (they will continue to crisp up as they sit).
Add ½ cup (98 g) of cooked rice to each of 4 bowls. Divvy up the roasted vegetables, diced avocado, and cilantro equally among the bowls. Drizzle with the BBQ sauce.
- Please read all of the helpful info and FAQ above to ensure recipe success.
- Use your favourite store bought BBQ sauce or make Jenn's Sweet and Spicy BBQ sauce from page page 165 in the book.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Nutrition info is based on 1 of 4 servings and is only to be used as a rough guide. Click to learn how nutrition info is calculated on this website.
Calories: 534kcal | Carbohydrates: 92g | Protein: 12.8g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 787mg | Potassium: 1027mg | Fiber: 12.6g | Sugar: 39g | Vitamin A: 2928IU | Vitamin C: 217mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 3.6mg