Savoury veggie pinwheels filled with a rainbow of fresh vegetables and a delicious, easy to make spread. Serve these vegetable pinwheels as vegan appetizers at your next get-together, or enjoy as snacks or lunch.
Prep Time20 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 2 large tortillas (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (one 15oz / 398ml can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon green onion, finely chopped (red onion can also be used)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (see above or below for how to make without mayo)
- 1/2 red bell pepper washed, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot peeled, washed, and thinly sliced
- 1 handful fresh baby spinach
Make Chickpea Spread:
Add chickpeas to a large bowl and mash using a fork or a potato masher. See picture above.
Add green onions, parsley, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and mayonnaise to the bowl and mix well.
Spread half of the chickpea mixture onto 1 tortilla, spreading right to the edges.
Place the red pepper, carrots, and spinach in 3 rows on top of the chickpea spread, as shown above.
Roll the tortilla tightly and with seam side down, slice into 7 pinwheels.
Repeat with remaining tortilla, chickpea spread, and vegetables.
- Please read all of the helpful info and FAQ above to ensure recipe success.
- I use no salt canned chickpeas but you can make this recipe with chickpeas you cooked from dry. After they have cooked, simply measure out the 1 1/2 cups needed.
- Be sure that your tortillas are fresh and pliable or they will break when rolling. If your tortillas are a little stiff, you can soften them by warming up for a few seconds in the microwave.
- To make this recipe without mayo, simply mash a medium avocado with a fork, so no chunks remain, and use it in place of the mayonnaise.
- Nutrition info is based on 1 pinwheel, made as written, and only to be used as a rough guide. Click to learn how nutrition info is calculated on this website.
Serving: 1pinwheel | Calories: 69kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.3g | Protein: 2.5g | Fat: 2.7g | Saturated Fat: 0.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 95mg | Potassium: 96mg | Fiber: 2.2g | Sugar: 1.6g | Vitamin A: 1073.97IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 17.8mg | Iron: 0.8mg