Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
Easy vegan Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Bars that are gluten free and loaded with sweet, tangy lemon flavour, has a crumbly oat layer and topping, and will satisfy your sweet tooth!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Cooling time2 hrs
Total Time2 hrs 55 mins
For the Filling:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (washed and dried, frozen may also be used, see notes below))
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- finely grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For Crust and Topping:
Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
Line an 8" x 8" baking dish with parchment paper leaving an overhang on all sides for easy removal.
Place oat flour, rolled oats, baking powder, coconut sugar, ground cinnamon, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Mix to combine.
Pour melted coconut oil into mixture and mix until combined.
Scoop out 1/2 cup of the mixture and set aside.
Pour the rest of the mixture into the parchment-lined baking dish and spread evenly. Press the mixture down firmly using a piece of parchment paper or the bottom of a measuring cup.
For the filling:
Add blueberries to a small bowl, then add sugar, arrowroot starch, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
Mix gently to combine all ingredients and to coat blueberries.
Pour blueberry mixture over crust and spread evenly (see image above).
Sprinkle the reserved oat mixture over the top of the blueberries.
Bake for 40 minutes. Remove baking dish from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Allow bars to fully cool (at least 2 hours) before removing from dish and slicing.
- Adapted from this recipe to make vegan, gluten-free, and nut-free and to use less sugar.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Bars will keep for up to 1 week when stored like this.
- This recipe will NOT work with coconut flour.
- Cornstarch may be used instead of arrowroot starch.
- Brown sugar may be used instead of coconut sugar.
- Frozen blueberries may be used instead of fresh berries. If using frozen, don't thaw them before using. Baking time will also have to be lengthened, bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Nutrition info is based on the recipe as it is written and is to be used only as a rough guide. Click here to learn how nutrition info is calculated on this website.
Serving: 1bar | Calories: 159kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 35mg | Potassium: 49mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin C: 4.1mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.9mg