Vegan Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Just a few ingredients is all you need to make yourself a mug of dairy-free, rich vegan peppermint hot chocolate. It's a nice, sweet warm up on a chilly day or a festive treat during the holidays!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I use almond)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (full fat or light, see note below)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Sweetener of choice, to taste
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (see note below)
- coconut whip (optional)
Heat non-dairy milk and coconut milk in a small pot. Heat until steaming but not boiling.
Whisk in cocoa powder.
Add sweetener to taste, whisk.
Add 1/8 tsp of the peppermint extract, whisk again, and taste. Add another 1/8 if it needs more.
If using coconut whip, add to the top.
- You can use either full fat or light coconut milk (we're talking the canned stuff here, not the refrigerated stuff you buy in cartons). Using the full fat coconut milk thickens the hot chocolate slightly and makes it extra creamy.
- Some peppermint extracts are stronger than others. Start out by adding 1/8 of a teaspoon to your hot chocolate, stir, and taste. If it needs more peppermint flavour, add another 1/8 of a teaspoon.
- Nutrition info is based on the recipe as it is written using full fat coconut milk, 2 teaspoons of coconut sugar as a sweetener, and no toppings. Nutrition info is only to be used as a rough guide. Click to learn how nutrition info is calculated on this website.
Serving: 1.25cup | Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 207mg | Potassium: 373mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 500IU | Calcium: 450mg | Iron: 1.6mg