This recipe for Vegan Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins has been a long time coming. I first attempted to make them over a year ago, and it took me 5…maybe 6 tries to perfect the recipe. I didn’t give up because I’m stubborn like that. And I’m glad I stuck with it, because LOOK AT THESE:
Each time I tried to make them, the flavour was always perfect. It was the texture that was never right. I don’t remember what the specific texture problems were the first few times. I do remember that the attempt just before I hit the jackpot, involved changing up the recipe by using some almond flour and that was an epic fail. Probably the worse one of all. When I took them out of the oven, they sunk in the middle and when I broke one apart, it was raw, even though they had been baking for more than enough time. No matter what, they were never going to fully bake or have a good muffin-like texture. I snapped a pic of that attempt, click here if you want to see the sunken, gooey, gummy, mess. They tasted good, though!
So I went back to the drawing board, eliminated the almond flour, changed a few other things and went back to what I was used to doing with my muffin recipes. And it worked. Have you ever failed at a recipe so badly that you vowed you would stick with it until you got it right and then you finally did it? This wasn’t the first time around that block for me 🙂
These Vegan Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins are loaded with shredded carrots, coconut, raisins, and apples. You may also add some chopped nuts if you like, but those are optional (I didn’t add them to this batch).
And it’s important to note that these muffins are in no way gummy inside like my past fail (see the pic I linked to above). They are just the way a muffin should be. I took a pic so you could see:
P.S. If you follow me on Snapchat (YES, *I* am on Snapchat! To follow me, you have to click on this link while on mobile, Snapchat does not have a desktop version), you would have seen snaps of me putting this recipe together from the beginning, all the way to photo shoot time. Click the link a few lines above to follow me over there for more behind-the-scenes recipe stuff. If Snapchat is not your thing, I’m also on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest, too!
Vegan Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 6 tbsp water
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour blend (I use Bob's Red Mill, see note below)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (plus extra for greasing muffin tin if not using liners)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup room temperature non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 apple, peeled, chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (fresh or dried, see note below)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare your flax eggs by whisking together ground flax seeds and water. Set aside to thicken.
- Line a muffin tin with liners or generously grease the inside of each cup with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, mix the flax mixture, coconut oil, vanilla, applesauce, and non-dairy milk together. Stir in coconut sugar until blended.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until combined.
- Fold in the apples, shredded coconut, raisins, carrots, and walnuts (if using) until well incorporated.
- Divide batter into the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of the largest muffin comes out clean.
• Fresh or dried coconut will both work fine in this recipe. Click to learn how to crack open and use a whole coconut.
Click here for more snack recipes!